Written by Cathy Altman, Partner
I had the privilege of joining the leadership team and my fellow
Trinity River Authority board members to celebrate the groundbreaking of our
new general offices in Arlington.
Like every
groundbreaking, it lasted only a few moments, although the surprisingly cool
July weather let us linger a little longer. The hard hat and gold ceremonial
shovel found their place in my new office, and before long, heavy equipment
will replace the smiling faces gathered around that patch of Texas dirt.
But the
real groundbreaking happened long before Friday morning.
It
happened in board meetings where difficult questions were asked. It happened
around conference tables where ideas were debated and refined. It happened
through the persistence of leaders, staff, engineers, architects, and
contractors who stayed focused on a shared vision: creating a space for the
important work of preserving the Trinity River Basin for future generations of
Texans.
As I stood
there Friday, I found myself thinking less about the building that will soon
rise from the ground and more about the people who made that moment possible.
I've spent most of my career around construction projects. As a construction
lawyer, I've learned that the strongest foundations are rarely the ones made of
concrete.
They're
built on trust. Strengthened by collaboration.
And
they're sustained by leaders who understand that the greatest accomplishments
are almost always the result of many people working toward something bigger
than themselves. People will walk through the doors of the Trinity River
Authority's new headquarters without ever thinking about the years of planning
and the people who made it possible.
That's as
it should be. I admire those leaders whose fingerprints are everywhere, even
though their names are nowhere.
Congratulations
to everyone who helped bring this project forward. I can't wait to watch the
building take shape so the team at the Trinity River Authority can continue to
shape the future of water in Texas.
Pinching
myself that I have a front row seat — and a golden shovel whose finger smudges
remind me there are always unsung heroes behind the glossy photo ops.
#LeadershipLessons
#TrinityRiverAuthority #ConstructionLaw #Leadership #Groundbreaking
#BuildingCommunities

